Saturday, July 25, 2015

Oh Canada! We stand on guard for thee...

Next stop, Canada!  My only experiences with Canada to this point in my life, have been urban adventures.  I have had a few trips to Montreal, and one to Toronto. Toronto can easily be grouped with other world class cities, like New York, London, Paris etc.  I was there on a business trip, and found it to be hectic, exciting and entertaining.  Montreal is more akin to Boston or Nashville, smaller and more navigable for a visitor, but always a good time.  I remember my first visit to Montreal as a teenager (chaperoned by my dad) was just as enjoyable as my last "legendary" excursion with some lifelong friends... the rest of Canada, until now, was uncharted territory for me.

So, after kicking the dust from my Converse All Stars, I headed north from Montana into Alberta, Canada.  Managing to schedule my arrival in  Calgary to coincide with The Stampede (the largest rodeo in the world!) I was determined to do two things on my way there...

   Get a haircut & buy some Cowboy Boots!

However, these simple tasks were not accomplished so simply...

My continuing amazement with rural communities continued...  The "highway" into Alberta, and for much of the way to Calgary was not a highway.  It came close to becoming a highway a few times, but never really achieved the width, or quality of road commonly associated with that type of roadway.  The route meandered through each small community, both Native and English.  The scenery was beautiful, with vast yellow fields stretching out in every direction, and soaring windmills towering above the plains and dotting the horizon. 

I had hoped to have the opportunity to find appropriate western footwear, a barber, and some good conversation to boot.  Unfortunately, This would not be the case...

I was on the hunt for a barber and boots.  Each time I spotted a potential candidate I'd park and check it out.  Some were small places, "Furniture & Boots" and some larger like the Wrangler Outlet.  But, each time the store(s) were closed.  Some looked like they could be open, others were clearly out of business.  Considering the rigmarole entailed in parking each time,  I started to do slow drive-by's.
"Closed, out of business", not today... harrumph.

Since my driving had devolved into that which could be termed "suspicious", coupled with the 45 minutes I had idled on the side of the road after crossing the border (Verizon! Don't get me started) I figured I was darn close to meeting one of The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, dispatched to investigate my strange behaviour.  And as thrilling as that prospect was to me,  I preferred to have that meeting be a more positive experience for both of us. 

I arrived in Calgary with the same unkempt mop on top of my head that had needed tending since Minnesota, really, but I had managed to get a new pair of boots.  I lucked out with the boots.  The last "Western Wear/Boot Store" I passed was actually open! 

My thought process went something like this...  "Doesn't look open, but maybe. I should check, right?  Boots this close to Calgary during the Stampede are bound to be more expensive...  oh, I think there's a light on... Someone is in that car in front... OK, let's check one more..."

So, I stomped on the brakes, cut the wheel, flew to a stop in front of the store, and in a cloud of swirling dust with tire marks leading from the road  (just in case the RCMP had lost my trail) I leaped from the car thinking, "now that was an entrance!" An awesome entrace ruined, of course, by my tugging on the wrong door to go inside, Duh, and my slinking back to the car to get my eyeglasses... Oh well, even Superman must have forgotton his eyeglasses once or twice, right?  (I wonder where he keeps them in that outfit, anyway?)  I digress...

And, here I would accomplish a First for me.  I bought a new pair of shoes, Cowboy Boots no less, in under 15 minutes!  I had little choice in the matter.  The sales associates, told me as I entered the store that they were closing in 15 minutes, and that they had places to be, and would not keep the store open one minute later. No prob.  I remained calm.  I was secure in the knowledge that friends of mine, Karen & Jane, had achieved a similar feat, by summoning help from every clerk available in Macy's store, years ago, to assist them with a "I need a new dress now, emergency!!" They had proved it could be done and provided the blue print to me for success.  I was confident that I could do the same!  And so, I did.

Once there, andsettled in, Calgary was a load of fun!  The city and its people are Stampede crazy.  It is THE event of the year, EVERY year, and they celebrate each as if it were their last.  And as my friends wre quick to point out, in response to my incessant whining about my hair being too long, "No one will notice when you're wearing a cowboy hat!"
And they were right about that...

Nice city, good times, good people, and great hosts.

Thank You Calgary!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment