Saturday, June 27, 2015

Chicago!

Sometimes a place, evokes an emotional response in people at the mere sight of it, or at the mention of its name.  A biological,  physiological reflex that, when first experienced, will shock or surprise, adding adrenaline to the emotional cocktail.  It can be joyous or dreadful. It is different for each individual and can change over time.  New York City has always had that effect on me.  When living in New York, every time I returned from being away, when I saw that iconic skyline again, it was JOY, heart racing, eye watering, joy, and it sill is.  I have come to expect that.  Chicago caught me off guard.

The skyline for Chicago is instantly recognizable, at least to me.  Considering the first skyscraper was built here, sorry New York, Chicago has had a long love affair with architecture and architects.  The city has benefitted from its obsession, and so do we.  The variety is as amazing as the style and building materials used to create it.  To paraphrase, The Devil Wears Prada, "It's art, that people live their lives in."  I stayed at a bed and breakfast in Lakeview, also known as Boystown.  There are no skyscrapers there, however the style and variety of amazing architecture is evident throughout the neighborhood.  Coincidentally, my arrival to Chicago coincided with the start of the city's Pride celebrations.  So, the style and variety of just about everything was highly evident throughout the neighborhood!  'Nuff said...

Getting to Chicago, and tasting that Kentucky Bourbon in the back of my car, meant driving through Indiana on I-65 north from Louisville.  Considering I did not stop, and I did not meet or speak to anyone in Indiana, it is unfair for me to characterize all people from Indiana as ignorant idiots.  So suffice to say, all of the people from Indiana travelling north with me on interstate 65 are idiots.  THERE IS A DRIVING LANE AND A PASSING LANE.  IF YOU ARE NOT PASSING, YOU ARE SIMPLY DRIVING AND SHOULD BE IN THE DRIVING LANE. UGH!  I consider myself a patient person, but there are limits...

Fortunately, I arrived safely in the windy city, which was delightfully cooler and more comfortable, weather wise, than the South.  I caught up with an old friend who's company I have missed.  I stayed in a nice B&B, (which was amazingly reasonable)  during the most colorful week, in the most colourful neighborhood in this spectacular city.  Not too shabby...
Oh, and I almost closed without mentioning, although it goes without saying, that Chicago is in the American Midwest.  Which means, the people there are among the friendliest, most genuinely nice people you will ever have the pleasure to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment