Friday, June 26, 2015

Kentucky - Horses, Bourbon & Caves

Leaving Nashville, the green countryside is filled with rolling hills, streams and small towns scattered about randomly.  At the Kentucky Welcome Center,  tourist materials highlight - Horses, Mountains lakes and caves, & Bourbon!

Having shortened my stay in the Bluegrass state to just one night and heading for Chicago, going up into coal country, or spelunking was not an option.  The excitement of the Kentucky Derby, held in early May, has passed.  Livestock of every kind is evident in the farms and fenced fields passed on my route north through the middle of the state.  Soooooo, it seemed my only choice left, able to be enjoyed in just one day, from the list of Kentucky ' s many attractions is Bourbon. Fortunately, I love Bourbon!  Personally, I retire the brown liquors and gravitate towards clear alcohols for the hot summer months.  Despite the 95°+ temperatures, I've enjoyed for the past two weeks, Bourbon it is!

Bourbon is the only original American liqour.  Created in Kentucky, and although produced throughout the stae, the area around Louisville is considered it's home.  I arrived late into Louisville, and stayed in an EconLodge Motel right downtown.  Can't say enough about the EconLodge in Louisville Kentucky.  It was conveniently located, very reasonably priced, and the recently renovated rooms could stand up to comparisons with any luxury hotel.  Working late into the night, very hungry, I discovered something else about Louisville.  Restaurants stayed open late.  Delivery choices for food were many and available till 4am!  I decided, I like this town.

The next morning with the car packed, I headed for Chicago, via Bourbon country.   Bardstown, KY bills itself as the Bourbon capital of the world.  An hour drive south of Louisville, is not really on the way to Chicago,  but... I digress.  I stopped at the Bourbon Heritage Center expecting to taste a few different bourbons.  Curses!  The tasting tours are approximately every hour and I had just missed the start of one.  Plan B.  "Get the Cliff Notes".  I asked some questions, read some promotional and informational materials, and bought four bottles of different styles of Bourbon.  The tasting and savoring of these delightful liquors would be delayed.  So, with this precious cargo loaded carefully into the car, next stop, Chicago!

Pictured here are the four I chose:

No comments:

Post a Comment